A digital marketer is someone responsible for promoting a business and its products using online channels. Arguably the biggest advantage to a career in digital marketing is the ability to work from home. Most digital marketing tasks can be completed online so many companies and agencies choose to let their employees work from home. According to Linkedin, the industry is growing every year, paying a living wage, and has the greatest number of job openings. Digital marketing is the most in-demand career in 2022.
In simple words: any marketing efforts conducted to endorse goods, services, and brands via a digital platform is Digital Marketing. Basic marketing principles may remain the same but the digital marketing skills and tools you need to thrive in the workplace are constantly evolving. There are some areas of digital marketing that will also help you to understand what digital marketing is.
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Sponsored Content
- Content Marketing
- Pay Per Click (PPC)/Paid Search Marketing
- Marketing Automation
- Digital Public Relations (PR)
- Inbound Marketing
- Social Media Marketing
- Affiliate Marketing
- Email Marketing
5 Digital Marketing skills you need to master to thrive in tomorrow’s workplace
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO) & Search Engine Marketing (SEM): SEO is key to all levels of digital marketing and anyone going into the field must have a basic handle on it. You can certainly leave the highly technical, back-end stuff to the more technical people on the team, but knowing how SEO works and a solid understanding of best practices and content optimization is crucial for running a successful digital marketing campaign.
- Data and Analytics: Arguably the most important skill on this list is the ability to make use of Data to inform decision making. We saw that the biggest difference between the Talkers and the Doers was using data insights from experiments, presenting experiment data, and having a clearly defined data strategy.
- Project Management skills: To ensure processes are running smoothly and in line with common goals, project managers must have strong organizational skills. While this includes the ability to multitask, it also includes prioritizing tasks, compartmentalizing projects, and documenting everything for easy access and future reference.
- Understand Design Thinking & Planning: Design Thinking is a term that refers to a way of approaching problems from a user-centered perspective. The approach essentially encourages us to think in a human-centered way when solving large-scale complex problems. Designers and developers are likely to use this type of approach, so it’s a good idea to at least have a solid understanding of it to pump up your marketing resume and apply it when feasible.
Building your skills is a key part of success when it comes to your marketing activities. Understanding how to create marketing strategies, how to integrate every part of your funnel, and how to report on your results – among many other things – will ensure that you get the results you want.
Steps to Become a Digital Marketer
- Learn Important digital Marketing skills: There are many important skills for becoming a successful digital marketer. We have mentioned above some of the important skills in this article. Still, there are many others commons skills if you want to be a digital marketer. for eg. Content Writing, communication skills, Creativity, etc.
- Consider certifications, boot camps, and courses: Digital marketing courses also allow for specialization with some fundamental coursework thrown in. These courses may be helpful for entry-level candidates as they thoroughly cover the relevant coursework.
- Get your first entry-level marketing job.